- The well-known site Vinted has to pay a fine of more than 5.3 million PLN,
- The head of UOKiK questioned the following practices: there is no information on the terms of unblocking funds from sale and no information on how not to pay extra for Buyer Protection,
- On May 10, Vinted began sending emails to its users informing about the transfer to the new platform.
Vinted is a very popular website. Thanks to him, we can get rid of the clothes we no longer wear, and find real gems. UOKiK took a closer look at the site after users’ complaints about irregularities started to hit it.
Proceedings against the company began in September 2021. As we read in the announcement, complaints about the Vinted.pl platform of the Lithuanian company VINTED UAB were received by UOKiK and the European Consumer Center.
– In the procedure carried out, we found that Vinted, due to the lack of transparent information, was detrimental to the collective interests of consumers and could have contributed to the fact that they suffered financial losses.. Doubts about Vinted’s practices are present not only in the Polish market. The company’s activities are currently being analyzed by the CPC (Consumer Protection Cooperation Network) – a cooperation network of the authorities of European countries, in which we also participate as an office – says Thomas Crostiny, Head of the Office of Competition and Consumer Protection.
Check also: This is how scammers work on Vinted. People lose thousands of zlotys
UOKiK notes that Vinted’s website has not provided information that access to earned funds may be related to the need to meet additional requirements regarding identity verification.
In practice, it looked like this: if the consumer, at the request of the payment service provider (ADYEN company), did not present an identity card, passport, bank statement or driver’s license, the company could prevent the money from being sold. The site did not adequately inform that the withdrawal of funds may be related to identity confirmation.
According to UOKiK, the consumer did not find out about this either from the regulations of the platform or at the stage of creating an electronic wallet in which funds are collected from transactions made on Vinted.pl.
– It is unacceptable that when consumers decided to sell on the Vinted.pl platform and create an electronic wallet, they did not have clear, complete and reliable information about the necessity and details of identity verification. If they know that refusing to submit the required documents, which contain a lot of detailed and sensitive information, will lead to a loss of the earned money, they can look for another option for selling clothes – said Thomas Krustney, President of UOKiK.
In April 2022, the company abandoned the questionable practice, which had been key to reducing the fine. Vinted is currently informing consumers of the obligations regarding identity verification in the regulations when registering on the website, as well as at the stage of creating an electronic wallet.
Check also: The Military Property Agency sells real estate. What can you buy and at what price?
The bureau notes that in the case of buyers, the problem is the lack of information on how to purchase without paying the Buyer Protection fee. Includes a refund if the item purchased is not shipped or arrives damaged and payment is secure. Although the company allows transactions without Buyer Protection, how to use this procedure is not described anywhere.
The buyer must guess that he clicks on the “Order an item” button and during the conversation with the seller agree on the method of transportation and payment for the purchased items. On the other hand, clicking the Buy Now button is automatically associated with the Buyer Protection fee, which is 2.9 PLN plus 5 percent. the prices.
– As a result of not informing consumers how to conduct a transaction without paying for Buyer Protection, many people may have to pay this fee, even though they do not need the service, because, for example, they have already checked the seller and have good experiences with it – It brings back Tomasz Chróstny’s attention.
The total fines imposed on the owners of the Vinted website amount to more than 5.3 million PLN. In addition, the company must inform consumers of the decision issued and questionable practices on Vinted.pl and on Facebook.
On May 10, Vinted notified its users that it was moving on May 16 to a new international platform.
After this date, we will gradually invite users to upgrade their account to the new version of Vinted. Please wait for your invitation before transferring your account. Playback capabilities on old Vinted will be limited. Starting May 16, you won’t be able to buy and sell items, buy suggested bumps and offers, add items to favourites, follow other users, start conversations or add and post ads on the old Vinted system.. Before transferring your account, you must withdraw all funds in your Vinted wallet to your bank account – Vinted informs in an email sent to users.
The message also states that “All pending orders were completed before the old platform was closed.”
We will be closing the old Vinted platform on June 20th. Once it is closed, you will not be able to transfer your account. However, you will still be able to withdraw funds from Vinted Wallet to your bank account. We will transfer some of the information stored on your account to the new platform. However, if in the past your account was subject to the identity verification procedure (know your customer procedure) of our payment service provider, this data will not be transferred, so we may ask you to confirm your identity again – we read in the announcement.
No more unlimited drinks in the all-inclusive plan. Resorts tighten their rules