potted flowers It is a unique home decor. It makes the rooms more comfortable. We rest more effectively in the greenery-filled interior. house plants They not only decorate the space, but also increase the humidity of the air. Some of them also absorb gaseous pollutants, which positively affects our health.
Plants need care according to the needs of a particular species. If we want them to grow and thrive, we have to change their pots regularly to larger pots. Early spring is the best time to plant potted flowers Then nature wakes up to life and plants move from vegetation to growth.
Planting potted flowers is essential because over time plants use up the nutrients in their soil – then the soil becomes barren. Before proceeding to work, it is worth checking which plants really need to be changed. Gardeners point this out small flowers Potted plants should be transplanted once a yearBecause its growth strength is exceptionally high. The same applies to fast-growing species, which include, inter alia, modern monsters and ivy.
How often do you plant old potted flowers? It is usually enough for plants that are several years old to change their pots to larger ones every 2-3 years. How do we know when a plant needs replanting? There are several points worth paying attention to.
Potted plants should be transplanted in the following cases:
- Roots grow from holes in the bottom of the pot,
- after removal from the casing, we note that the roots have no room to develop,
- Recently, there has been a sudden loss of leaves or yellowing of the plant.
- The plant was thrown (it can save him).
Extra large houseplants – It reaches a height of several meters – usually Needs a rare transplant. For such specimens in the spring it is enough to replace the top layer of the earth.
Check also: Simple ways to grow house plants
March and April are the best months for planting potted flowers. However, it should be noted that all plants have an individual biological clock that is worth studying. Some gardeners are also happy to use it The biodynamic calendar, also known colloquially as the lunar calendar. It allows you to organize the sequence of work, taking into account the phases of the moon.
according to the calendar Best biodynamic time to plant potted flowers It is the period from the full moon to the new moon. Then the plants quickly regenerate, so the probability of the spread of flowers on the new site is greater.
How to plant flowers in a larger potTo accelerate its growth and provide the best conditions for development? This activity is not difficult, but before starting it, it is worthwhile to organize the following stages – thanks to it in the process We will avoid mistakeswhich negatively affect the condition of the plant. This is short Instructions on how to transplant a houseplant Step by Step.
- momentarily Before planting begins We should water the plants we intend to change into larger ones. Thanks to this, the soil will be less compacted and the roots will be more elastic – the lump will easily slip out of the old pot.
- After soaking the substrate, new pots must be prepared. Potted flowers must be returned For pots one or two sizes larger than the previous ones. With exceptionally large plants, the diameter may increase by 10 cm – however, this is the absolute maximum.
- It is also not difficult to guess The most important point when planting a flower pot is to choose the right substrate. Botanists often prepare mixtures themselves. By combining soil with expanded clay, gravel, sand or peat, they create substrates that meet the needs of a particular species. If we do not want to spend on Planting potted plants Often, we can buy ready-made mixtures in garden stores.
- After preparing the soil and pots, we can move the root ball out of the pot. It is worth getting rid of old, barren soil – by loosening the roots. If during work we notice broken or rotten roots, then we must cut them off completely.
- After checking the roots, plant the bottom of the pot with a layer of drainage, that is, according to the needs of the plant – expanded clay, bricks or crushed stone. The thickness of the drainage layer should be about 1-2 cm (depending on the size house plants).
- After preparing the utensils to drain We can start planting potted flowers. Put the roots at the bottom of the pot, spread the substrate around the lump and gently knead – until the plant is stable. The soil should end a maximum of 2 cm below the top of the pot.
A lot of people are wondering Whether the new flowers also need to be replanted. Specialists advise changing the substrate immediately I buy a plant. why? Potting soil usually contains starting soil – not very rich in nutrients. Such a substrate can inhibit the growth of flowers and even contribute to their drying.
Check also: Home compost for flowers. Perfect for spring
planting flower pots It is not difficult, but many people make mistakes during this activity that affect the condition of the plant. What exactly should be avoided when changing pots for larger pots?
- sure The most common mistake when planting potted flowers, They are placed directly in a decorative wrap or in a container without holes at the bottom. The lack of holes through which excess water can seep out after watering will cause the roots to rot in a short time. Sooner or later the plant will begin to die.
- Another common mistake when planting potted flowers is the use of garden soil as a substrate. In general, this soil is home to many pests, weeds and pathogens. Nor do we know the pH of this soil. By making this mistake, we can not only prevent the growth of the plant, but also return unwanted guests to the house – for example, ants.
- Many people think so Transplant potted plants into much larger casings It will ensure that they will not need similar nurturing treatment for the next few years. Meanwhile, a large space in the pot means that the plant, instead of developing buds, leaves and flowers, focuses on expanding the root system. In addition, the Earth is aging after a few years. Application? In this case, there are no shortcuts – if we want to enjoy a beautiful plant, we must regularly replant it.
Check also: The plant is ideal for balconies and terraces. How does begonia grow?